Tuesday, February 07, 2006

bitchbitchbitch, or, The Perils of Going to University with The Super-Rich: Yesterday I paid 495 pounds for two mediocre political science boooks (85 dollars for those of you keeping score at home). That's as much as I expect to pay for rent.

List of Things I Miss:
half.com
dancing with roommates to college-kid rock at 2 AM, or whenever
the ubiquity of good french fries
peanut butter from Costco (Costco peanut butter, 6 bucks for two huge things, cf hamburger five dollars; imported peanut butter, 5 bucks for a mediocre sized Skippy, cf large koshari eighty cents)

Deep Thought of the Week: Democracy was my first religion.

Segue into: There's no more Lurpak butter at the supermarket

This Danish cartoon row has irked me more than I thought news could. I haven't felt this partisan and offended in awhile. I am so convinced we're right. The two sides shout, "See, they simply don't understand, the cretins." Yes, I'm beginning to see.


Nationalities Ascribed to Me Since I've Been Here:
Japanese
Chinese
Vietnamese
Hawaiian (my personal favorite, for creativity)
Native American (possibly, nay, likely correct! but only sortof...)

New Found Phobia:
Dogs. For a long time I've given answers that really skirt the issue: "I just really dislike dogs that aren't on a leash." Yadda yadda. But now, when I walk back to my apartment at 4 AM from Cilantro (the local version of Starbucks, which, relatively speaking, maybe an even bigger rip-off) there's all these stray dogs kicking around, and they always wake up and bark at me whenever I walk home. One night I even took a taxi just to avoid them.

No comments: